Tuesday, February 6, 2007

January Nationals

January Nationals
(heres the race on paper courtesy of my PowerTap)




January Nationals was a great opportunity to really see where my form is. It was an informal road race that had about 80-90 people make an appearence at. The race consisted of 7 laps of rolling hills for about 8 miles a peice. After the first neutral lap the pace picked up and Dan williams (Capri) got in a break with 5 others and reached a maximum advantage on the feild of 2.5 minutes. This relieved the rest of us of having to do any work. About lap 4 I could see the break starting to come back and I got ready to start covering moves or possibly try and get away if I had the legs. With Dan back in the feild on lap 5 I felt it was time to see how I felt and I began attacking relentlessly. I got away a couple of times but the were all brought back with no trouble. On the final lap Rich Harper (Ambercrombie & Fitch) made the move that would eventually win the race. Unfortunately I was still recovering from one of my attacks and was unable to respond. At this point Rob (capri) got in a chase group and also was able to stay away. As soon as I was recovered I attacked with 2 others following and began chasing the leaders as well as the other chase group. My group was within 15 meters of the chase group when the 2 riders I was with attacked me to try and prevent me from making it up to the next group. By the time I finally struggled my way up to the chase group alone there was about 500 meters to the line and they had started to sprint. I had very little left but what I did powered me by 2 of the riders in the group for a solid 6th place finish half a wheel length behind my teamate Rob.

I'm very happy with where my form is at in these early season efforts and I hope that it will be a foreshadow of what is to come once things get a bit more serious. till next time...

Ride fast, Take chances

Final Results January Nats
1. Rich Harper
(A & F)
5. Rob McConnville (Capri)
6. Carson W. (Capri)

1 comment:

Stephanie Ann said...

You are a slacker....it's been almost ten months??